Saturday, February 26, 2011

Long time, no Chaos. Also, a new army!

Hey everybody... if anybody is still here that is.  I want to apologize for my absence from the blog these past few weeks.  Life had gotten pretty crazy on me shortly after my last post and by crazy I mean freaking insane.

Photoshop'd by Chaosheade.  Watch TopGear, it's awesome.

Things have calmed down some since then but then I had a bit of a crisis of faith.  To put it simply, the current CSM codex sucked out all my enthusiasm for the game and the hobby in general.
Whenever I tried to get back to working on my CSM or make a blog post about why I hadn't posted I would just get this sense of dread and I just couldn't bring myself to get started.  I have gotten a little painting done.  I finished the first squad of CSM and have been working on the second squad but my heart just hasn't been in it lately.  I've been too obsessed with thinking about a second army.

I didn't intend to go into the details on why the current codex sucks, but I couldn't help it.  Feel free to skip this paragraph if you don't want to read my whining.   I thought about using another codex with my Chaos Marine models, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  I'm not going to bash people who do that as long as it's not confusing and they're not just being a WAAC d-bag.  I just don't think it would be right for me.  It's not that I want a more powerful/competitive codex, it's that I want a more fun codex.  I want to have more than one or two viable options for building an army.  I love daemon princes and obliterators and the troops choices but that's all there really is to the current codex.  I find myself building an army with only 3 FoC slots.  I put in princes, oblits, troops, and struggle to find something else I want to fill the elite and fast attack slots.  There are a few mediocre elites choices and I usually throw in a small squad chosen loaded with special weapons but nothing else really excites me.  The fast attack slot is a complete joke.  Seriously, we have 3 options there, it takes only a single page in the army list section of the codex, and one of those "fast attack" options is Slow and Purposeful FFS and is a serious contender for worst unit in the whole game.  Chaos spawn, why must you be so potentially awesome but so full of suck?

Photoshop'd by Chaosheade

I even thought about selling the army but I put way too much time and sunk too much money into my little army men to part with it.  There is no way I would have gotten anywhere near retail value from the sale and I simply can't affort to throw all that time and money away.  As much as I hate the current codex, I don't want to give up on Chaos completely.  I still think the army and the models are awesome and I still like Chaos.  Why?  Because screw the emperor, that's why!  I'm still hoping for a decent codex the next time around but until then, I needed to find an army that I can really enjoy.  Suddenly, Tyranids!

Photoshop'd by Chaosheade

I always thought my second army would be Orks.  They are cool, have lots of options, have a decent codex, and are just fun... but I just couldn't really get into them completely the way I wanted to.  I couldn't decide what type of list or what clan I wanted to play.  I just wasn't "feeling it."  So, I started looking into other options.  I took another look at all the armies in the game and did a lot of research.  The whole time while browsing through forums and blogs, and generally surfing the net, I felt something tugging at me, calling my name.  At first I thought it was the voices again, but in time I realized that it was the Hive Mind.  I think what really caught my attention was a blog post by AbusePuppy over at 3++ is the New Black about Tyranids including null deployment.  I really like the idea of a null deployment list and I started comparing to the CSM codex.  I played a near-null deployment list fairly often with my CSM that included deep striking daemons and oblits, outflanking chosen, winged princes... and mandatory troops choices that have no special deployment options at all.  Tyranids also have the ability to modify reserve rolls which is a crucial part of a null deployment list.  I can't count all the times I was waiting until turns 4 and 5 to get all my reserves when playing Chaos.  Tyranids have some crappy units in the book but there are lots more cool and interesting choices as well.  I read through the codex and I loved the fluff too.  I was actually interested in reading it instead of reading the CSM fluff and being bored half to death and slogging through 1/4 of it before losing interest.  Tyranids have an edge over Chaos Marines in options, playability, and even fluff.  Now I just have to find some funding to get started with.  In the meantime, I'll just have to console myself with the fact that I'm not playing Necrons.

Source: The Internet

So, back to the original topic.  Now you know where I've been and what I've been doing all this time.  Just a little hobby funk that should be over now.  I promise I'll post the pictures of the completed squad soon and get back to blogging a little more regularly.  I will also be adding a blogroll shortly and will be adding more cool blogs over time.  I'll probably keep slowly working on my Chaos Marines until I can get started on my nids.  Thanks for staying with us.  Catch you on the flip side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...