Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A bit about me and why I blog

Hey everybody, Chaosheade here with some random musings.  I've been thinking about this topic for a while and have been meaning to put my thoughts into a more permanent format since my brain's memory banks are so inefficient but never got around to it before now.  


I may never be as cool as Laurence Fishburne but I compensate for that with... uh... I'll get back to you on that one.
This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - your browser closes, you go about your day, and everything seems normal until 99 badger-monkey hybrids explode from your computer and do horrible things to you (I'll let your imagination take care of the mental images on this one.) You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and continue reading this post and I'll show you how deep the rabbit hole of my mind goes, quite possibly driving you insane.  You're screwed either way, so you might as well enjoy the ride!


First, a bit of history.  I might have shared this before but I'm saying it again, so deal with it (or just skip over it.)  I've been into wargaming in one form or another for about as long as I can remember.  It began with board games such as Risk, Axis & Allies, and many others. I progressed to turn based and then real time strategy video games.  I also got into D&D and various other RPGs as well as Magic: The Gathering and dabbled in a few other card games.  I first became interested in 40k and other miniatures games when I was a teenager in high school but there was no way I could afford to get into anything like that at the time so I let the idea simmer for a dozen years or so. In the mean time I did play a few less expensive miniatures games including MageKnight and HeroClix.  So as you can see I have been involved in all kinds of games from board to video to card to miniature games before I finally got into 40k in the Spring of 2009.  Finally, the stars had aligned: I could finally afford it and already had some friends who I could play with.
  
Philosoraptor breaks the wall of text.
Picture found here
I started off splitting an AoBR starter set with a friend who plays Orks and began working on a Chaos Space Marine army.  After discovering the codex was a bland snooze fest of boringness, I started looking for a new army to play while waiting for a CSM codex that didn't bore me to death.  I considered a few different armies (Necrons, Orks) but I started gravitating more and more towards Tyranids.  In my subconscious mind I could hear the faint whispers of the Hive Mind calling to me, entwining the tendrils of its will with my grey matter, until I could resist no longer.  I decided on Tyranids for my new army.  While they are not a complete powerhouse army like SW or IG, they are aesthetically appealing, they match my play style as well, and most importantly they are not emperor-loving imperial *censored*.  I was toying around with some (mostly) null deployment builds with my CSM but it is impossible to do with the current codex.  Tyranids, on the other hand, have all the tools necessary and lots of fun options to create a null deployment army that won't get laughed off the table.  I definitely have a competitive streak and I play to win but also I try to keep things in perspective and play for fun, and not be a WAAC neckbeard.


Picture found here.  Thanks Google image search.



Now on to why I keep at this blogging thing.  The whole thing was M4XVLTG3's idea and he dragged me into it.  While he had dreams of glory I like to think I was a little more skeptical practical realistic about my expectations for the blog.  I half expected the whole thing to fizzle and die but the darn thing grew on me.  But why is that?  I guess it's because I've always had a thing for helping people.  I don't know why I do and sometimes I wonder why I keep doing it even when I get burned for it, but I keep doing it anyway.  It's like some weird drug or something, or maybe I'm just strange.  Scratch that - I know I'm strange, but that's beside the point.


For me, Maximum Heresy is a place for me to share my creations with the world without dealing with forums and everything that comes with them.  I enjoy sharing my hobby and painting work but the really rewarding part is creating tutorials that people find useful.  I especially love creating tutorials on topics that have not already been covered a thousand times already such as "magnetizing" without magnets and converting vehicle combi-meltas and infantry flamers.  As far as I know these two tutorials are completely unique and while the combi-melta/flamer post is very much a niche article, magnetizing without magnets can be applied to a huge range of uses.  The possibilities are virtually limitless.  I also like to come up with and share ways to save as much money as I can since I have a very limited budget, and really, who doesn't like to save money?


You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Chaosheade Zone.
So that's my little journey of self-exploration (no, not that kind!)  I know there isn't much real meat in this post, mostly a lot of fluff and some insight into who I am and why I do what I do.  For those few of you who stuck through and read all of my BS, thank you and I hope I haven't damaged your sanity too much.  For those who didn't, you're probably not reading this anyway.  


So how about you?  Why do you blog?  I'm curious as to what motivates my fellow bloggers out there.  Fame and fortune?  Notoriety?  Power?  Women?  Men?  Please feel free to leave a comment and/or make a similar post on your own blog and watch your page views plummet share your thoughts on the subject.


And now on to a quick general update.  Hobby and blogging time has been pretty limited lately due to the dreaded RL monster but I'm slowly making progress.  That seems to be a recurring theme lately, my time is getting to be as limited as my budget.  Anyway, I think that's enough for today.  Catch you on the flip side.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...